Although I've taught hybrid courses before, I just found out that I will be teaching my first fully online class in the fall, YIPPEEE!
I'm grateful for the collaboration and the support I've received in my transition at the new college. One of my new colleagues showed me a resource called Screencast-O-Matic which, despite the shockingly 90s name, really is quite useful. It is similar to the VoiceThread resource that we used but displays audio over what is going on on your computer screen at the time of the video. It also has the ability to pause during recording, back-up and record over sections, and displays what is happening on a box on your screen during the video. I'm really excited to incorporate this tool into my introduction videos to the course, especially the ones where I want to show my students how to set up their online account for the homework portion of the class ran through the textbook's website and help navigating Canvas.
I am currently downloading the software as we speak and will be excited to let you know how my first videos turn out!
Wow~ Congratulations to your upcoming online teaching. I also hope that one day I could teach an online course to apply the knowledge that I leaned in this course.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your new teaching position!! That sounds like a great program. Can't wait to hear about your first video!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on new teaching experience awaiting you! And thanks for sharing that screen capturing tool – it is quite more convenient to use when compared to VoiceThread.
ReplyDelete