Thursday, August 6, 2015

The organic nature of PLNs and the benefits of intentionality

I think that personal learning networks sneak up on you before you even notice them.  You start to observe the benefits of interaction with others in your field, perhaps during formal classes or informal conversations between friends and then you slow extend into your already existing social media network with some of these same collaborations.  For example, you might see a post on Facebook like the one I saw today "does anyone have some good pictures of Mexico City that I can use in class today?  The ones I'm finding on a Google Search just don't seem to be good enough" or maybe you find yourself polling other instructors in your network around a pressing topic.

Although PLNs can be fairly organic, I think there is another level to this.  Conscious effort towards developing and promoting the PLN is nothing but beneficial.  The intention of sorting through resources, making informed selections and thinking critically about the dynamics of providing and receiving information and reciprocity.  Through these efforts we can strengthen and maintain our PLNs and this will probably both increase their benefit as well as the likelihood that we will appreciate this increase!

1 comment:

  1. Your thoughts about the advantageous nature of making a determined effort to the PLN development are very true. I never expected to learn so willingly before starting my PLN project in this class.

    ReplyDelete