Saturday, July 18, 2015

My shift to a minimalist approach to resource gathering and time for a change

On my first laptop many years ago, I had over 20 folders for different types of bookmarks: potential grad schools, language learning sites, recipes, crafts, travel and more. Unfortunately, that list died when my laptop died but I found that I didn't miss it too much.  Like a hoarder with rooms full of magazines that never got read again, I felt a bit relieved to get away from a system of organization that had gotten so out of hand that any attempt to apply either of the words "system" or "organization" to it seemed laughable.  Step two in my process was the toolbar.  My top 20 sites became linked to the task bar in Firefox I believe (we are still in the pre-Chrome age) and that was that.  I opened a Pintrest account but somehow it only seemed appropriate for me to pin cooking, fashion and craft ideas to that site.  With the update to Chrome (because I've learned that all of my shifts in online habits are motivated by an imposed change or upgrade), I found that frequent visits to favorite sites just needed the insertion of the first two letters of the URL and from there, *poof* autofill did the work. And thus, the pendulum swung to the other extreme.  I don't bookmark anything anymore and I didn't really even realize how much I missed it until I signed up for a Diigo account last week, download and started using the annotation tool and watched the videos on Social Curation tools.  

Image From: skookyspry.deviantart.com and acquired through Creative Commons

Time for a confession:  I do need a way to organize the online resources that I have found. My only substitution has become copied information in my GoogleDrive folders and it isn't working for me. I spend an exorbitant amount of time going back through the channels of how I found something or shouting across the office, what was the name of that site again?  But I know myself, I will probably only give one curation tool a chance, and I need it to work well for me.  I am not so interested in publishing and sharing my curations publicly, but it would be great to share the resources I've collected with my colleagues. I am most interested in creating meaningful collections of valuable resources within my profession and studies. For this reason, I'm mostly attracted to Diigo at this point, due to the ability to highlight, annotate and save.  I'll post again soon to update on how my exploration of Diigo is going!


5 comments:

  1. Try Evernote. I started a week ago and LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had Evernote on my phone for over a year and so far have only used it fairly minimally. Any good features on it you recommend checking out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Amy, Thanks for the post! I think I personally like Diigo better for its professional format and annotation functions. It really helps me organize items better :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had Evernote on my phone for over a year and so far have only used it fairly minimally. Any good features on it you recommend checking out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use Evernote a lot -- love it. But use the laptop version mostly and I use it for personal notes and emails I need to track more than for bookmarked items. I use Diigo for my scholarly bookmarked items.

    ReplyDelete