As I start to think about the role of Web 2.0 resources in the classroom, instruction and learning I thin more and more on the resources that I already use in the classroom. The blog I am following posted a great resource about the instructor's 14 essential language teaching tools that she carries with her for her face-to-face instruction. While I would challenge her use of the word essential in the title, her bag of tricks is certainly filled with some creative ideas!
What technology are we currently incorporating in our instruction? I decided to come up with a list of some of the technology that I use on a daily basis. I do feel that it is important to point out that the classes I teach are part of a larger program which uses standardized syllabi, objectives, evaluations and projects. Therefore, currently there isn't much room for flexibility and innovation. Regardless, I certainly use a lot of "technology" already.
Presentation programs: Powerpoint or Prezi
Physical technology in the classroom: computer, projector, BlueRay, DocCam etc.
News Websites
Youtube
Virtual surveys
Quizlet and study strategy sites
Spanish language support sites: translators *mostly to show why NOT to use them, dictionaries, extra grammar explanations, exercises online
What I find interesting is that often it is just one more simple step to go a bit further into these sites. For example, the majority of the online resources that I have listed above have online communities that follow these. For example, wordreference.com is by far the best online dictionary in that it has detailed forums where members expand upon the definitions provided and create long lists of further translation equivalents. Think UrbanDictionary minus the filth! This is a great resource for my students not only to find out further information but to learn about the challenges and communities that do bilingual work. On the other hand, YouTube videos are frequent stars in my classroom but I would be quite hesitant to examine some of the comment sections that follow the music videos.
Perhaps it is just me, but I feel like there is a bit of a leap incorporating the more traditional types of technological resources into the classroom and truly integrating the use of social media and web 2.0 resources. But like anything, it probably will occur one step at a time, rather than in leaps and bounds.
Thank you for sharing, Amy. Glad to see the tools a great teacher is using in her class :) Here, you can also see the other teachers' tools for their language teaching: http://www.tesl-ej.org/wordpress/issues/volume15/ej57/ej57int/.
ReplyDelete"I feel like there is a bit of a leap incorporating the more traditional types of technological resources into the classroom and truly integrating the use of social media and web 2.0 resources"
ReplyDeleteNailed it! For many people, at first they are using resources in a very '1.0' manner. It is only with time, encouragement, curiosity, and perhaps need that folks will extend beyond and explore the truly '2.0' aspects possibilities.
Thanks Jiyae, I will check that out.
ReplyDeleteV: I definitely agree. I would add familiarity to that list, we need to know the resources out there, not just know OF them to be able to integrate them into our practice!